10 Reasons to Get Back to Your Mat This Fall:
A No Excuse Approach to Your Practice.
by: kellee rich
“You are never too old, never too bad, never too late and never too sick to start from scratch again.”
-Bikram ChoudhuryAs summer comes to a windy close, the avid mountaineer men and women of the Tahoe-Truckee area begin to seek other methods of physical activity. In preparation for the coming winter season, many locals seek out yoga as a means to cross-train. What happens once they get into the yoga room, eventually transforms them. Have you been contemplating taking or trying a yoga class? Or maybe yoga has begun to creep back into your subconscious musings, screaming,“Remember Me? I am feeling so detached from my reality, and I’m here to let you know it’s time to do yoga!” Your body is trying to tell you something: Get Back to Your Mat! ASAP! Remember that yoga is a means of physical, mental and emotional exercise, meaning that you really can never go wrong on your yoga mat. Half of the battle of getting to your mat each week is simply, showing up. By committing to a consistent yoga practice each week, you are committing to improving your life, your body, and your whole well-being. Listed below are 10 Reasons to Get Back to Your Mat this Fall. That’s right, no more excuses!
- Your mat is beginning to feel neglected. And cold. As the temperatures drop to near freezing in the mountains, your mat remains in the cold car every night. Bring it in and thaw it out. Show your mat some love!
- You have road rage. October ‘tis the season of construction in Tahoe and Truckee. If you get angry, frustrated, or suddenly come down with an episode of turrets every time you are caught up in traffic, or stopped by a flagger in a one-lane construction, guess what, it’s time you got to yoga. Yoga is a proven stress-reducer and is credited with improved reaction to stressful situations. Yoga may be just what you need to quiet your mind and settle into stillness.
- Your body will remember more that you think. Muscle and cellular memory are on full active alert during a strenuous yoga session. Each time you return to mat, your body automatically remembers where you were the last time you practiced. Amazing!
- You can see your toes, but you cannot touch them. Awe, so it’s flexibility you seek in your life. Yoga improves not only flexibility, but skeletal structure, muscle tone, strength and stamina. Over time, and with diligent practice, yoga will begin to reverse ailments in the body and often painful asymmetries in the skeletal structure. Yoga restores balance and integrity to the mind, body, soul and provides a connection to something bigger than yourself. So, go for it! Forward fold, and touch those toes.
- You sit at a desk all day long, every day. Bad posture and carpal tunnel syndrome are just two of many injuries related to office eight plus hour work days. Add to that sitting in an uncomfortable chair and staring at a computer screen all day, and you will need to escape from your busy working life. What better place to calm your world, all while correcting long-standing, and sometime painful office-related maladies.
- You have old, new or recurring injuries. Athletes that participate and utilize yoga as a means of cross-training sustain fewer and faster healing injuries. Build stamina, strength, movement and breathing techniques in yoga to assist you toward healing, and to aid you in your life’s postures.
- You want to feel better. The benefit’s of practicing yoga are numerous. Here are a just a few of the remarkable side-effects of a consistent yoga practice: Boosts self-esteem, improves concentration and creativity, improves circulation, stimulates the immune system and creates a sense of well-being and calm.
- You suffer from chronic pain, back issues, or arthritis. A key aspect of yoga, one that aids in healing against many ailments, is that yoga is low impact. You are able to build strength without wearing down the joints. In fact, yoga actually lubricates the joints and helps to minimize inflammation, which is a leading cause of pain and suffering in patients with arthritis, fibromyalgia, and other autoimmune disorders.
- Everybody is doing it! From pro athletes to cancer patients, and classes are even being tailored toward babies, kids and teenagers. Let’s not forget about mom and dad! The beauty of yoga is that it can be utilized by everyone. It enables humankind to engage in a physical, spiritual and emotional practice by consistently coming to and doing the work on a small rectangular mat. Transformation is inevitable.
- Your eating habits, as of late, are well, atrocious! Put the Cheetos down! Do you really even like Cheetos? The more yoga that you do the better eating choices you make. It is undeniable that if you eat a huge bacon cheeseburger before class you, and probably all your neighbors in yoga class, will regret it. Think light, and energetic. And an uplifting rule of thumb when consciously deciding what to put into your belly, always eat according to the colors of the rainbow. The more colorful, the more nutrient-rich, antioxidant-ridden and vitamin-loaded your meal will be.
The time is now to listen and respond to that voice inside you. It’s time to go to a yoga class. It’s time to show up on your mat, and do the work.
And what better studio, than our local favorite, Yoga Studio Tahoe, just voted “Best Studio” in the Sierra Sun, Best of Tahoe-Truckee contest. With friendly faces, great teachers and an incredibly supportive community. You just can’t go wrong!
Yoga Studio Tahoe has great start-up packages, including, but not limited to: $30 for 30 Days of Yoga for Local Residents, Studio Promos & Deals, and unlimited monthly yoga classes available. Also, Yoga Studio Tahoe just turned 4 years old! Check out and follow us on Facebook.